Saturday, June 14, 2014

During Lent: Abstinence From a Child's Perspective



"I don't understand, Mom," said Toby.

"What is it that you don't understand," asked his mother, who was not paying attention to what her nine-year old son was saying.

"Pierre," replied Toby, seriously. "I don't understand Pierre."

"We don't always understand our friends, and we don't always have to, but we love them anyhow," Toby's mother responded cautiously, still uncertain as to what Toby did not understand.

"All right, he can still be my friend but he sure is acting weird."

Later on that day, Betty, Toby's babysitter spent some time with him in the park while his mother went shopping for Easter.

"I think my friend Pierre is really sick," he confided in her, quietly. "I don't know what is wrong with him. Maybe he has allergies or something."

"What makes you think that, Toby," she asked. Betty was concerned about Toby's mood. He was not his normal, happy and playful self.

"Pierre says he cannot eat the things we love," replied Toby. "He said no pizza, chocolate ice cream or pop. I wanted him to come to my birthday party, but he said no to that, too. It won't be any fun without him."

"What if I help you to organize a different kind of a birthday party without any pizza, ice cream or pop? Do you think he would come then?"

"I don't know, but I will ask him."

Together, Toby and Betty worked out the details for his birthday celebration  which would be several days before Easter. Toby's mother agreed that Betty could be the host for a trip to the zoo, as long as she promised to supervise the boys.

Toby invited five of his best friends from school. Everyone would pack his or her own lunch and Betty would bring birthday cupcakes for everyone.

Pierre was delighted to be included and had permission to go, as long as there was no pizza, ice cream or pop on the menu.

Thus, Toby's birthday party proved to be a tremendous success. Even Pierre acted like his old self and Toby's day was perfect.

Just before Betty dropped Pierre off at home later that day, she asked him what the pizza, ice cream and pop problem was.

"It has to do with lentils," replied Pierre, still not sure why he was abstaining from certain pleasurable foods and drinks. "My mom said I cannot have any lentils for forty days, as a sacrifice like Christ made."

Betty was astounded. "You and your family must be Roman Catholic and making a sacrifice during Lent. After forty days, then you can have pizza, ice cream and pop again, right?"

"I guess. Celebrating Lent with no lentils, I don't really understand, but my mom says I will someday."

"Maybe ask your folks about ashes and palm branches too."

"I will for sure," agreed Pierre.

No comments:

Post a Comment