Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Guy in the Sweat Suit: A Seaside Encounter



It is almost Valentine’s Day,” said seven-year old Mandy to her mother, Mona, as they strolled along the sandy oceanfront. They had driven to Florida for a winter adventure and some fun in the sun. 

Suddenly, they spotted a tall, dark-haired, chubby man wearing an old, worn-out, navy sweat suit. He was gathering seashells. As they approached him, he looked up, smiled and waved at them. He seemed to be quite shy.  

“Mommy, I like him!” said Mandy to her mother. “Maybe that guy in the sweat suit would like to be your valentine?”

“I don’t know, sweetie. He is grubby looking and needs a haircut. He has a smile any mother could love, but his physique leaves a lot to be desired,” she replied, with a smile. There was no doubt the man in the sweat suit was a bit on the pudgy side. “Are you playing matchmaker, again?”

“Why not, but now we have scared him away. He is heading for the cabins,” replied Mandy. “Just imagine, Mommy, if he was your valentine, you would not be so lonely.”

“I’d have to put him on a weight loss program and get him exercising,” she said, with a smile. Mona promptly dismissed the thought of any further encounters with the man in the sweat suit, but Mandy did not.

“Go and play, sweetie, while I will figure out where we are going for dinner tonight.”

“He would be perfect as my father,” Mandy thought to herself. She watched closely, to see which cabin he entered. “He is in cabin number nine. I really need a new daddy,” she thought to herself. “Mommy is not doing anything about finding one for me, so I may have to take things into my own hands. Anyhow, kids should be able to decide who their fathers will be.”

At age seven, Mandy had lost her father in a tragic, motor vehicle accident. She missed him and was determined to find a new husband for her mother, who she frequently heard crying during the night. By nature, she was a fun loving, outspoken child, bold for her age and quite mischievous. Suddenly, she had an idea.

“If only I could make something happen between them!”

Moments later, using a stick, Mandy drew a huge valentine in the sand, right in front of the man’s cabin and put an arrow through the center of the valentine. It pointed directly at their cabin. Then, using a branch, she erased her footprints.

“That will get him guessing!” she thought to herself. “He will never know who drew that.”

Mandy headed down to the water, picking up some brightly colored stones along the way. She found a large, white seashell that she decided to keep. Sitting on the trunk of a tree that had fallen over into the water, she played quietly, while basking in the early evening sunshine.

“Whatever will be, will be,” she hummed softly to herself.

“I’d better call Mandy to get ready for dinner,” thought Mona, who had changed and was ready to go out. 
“It will be seafood tonight. She likes that.”

Moments later, she heard a gentle knock on the cabin door. When she opened it, she saw the man who had been dressed in a sweat suit, standing there holding a bouquet of wild flowers in his hand. She barely recognized him.

“Hi, I am Brandon,” he said, with a warm smile. He had showered and changed into a white, polo shirt and navy shorts with matching navy and white runners.   

“Thanks for the valentine. I have been on holidays here by myself, for the past two weeks and do appreciate it.”

“Valentine?” wondered Mona, taking a closer look at him. “He is a rather attractive man,” she thought to herself. “His dark hair and deep brown eyes are enticing, too.” 

“Would you be my valentine?” Brandon continued with a shy smile, as he handed her the bouquet.

“Thank you for the wild flowers,” replied Mona, with a nervous grin. She was uncertain as to how to reply. “My daughter and I are just going out for dinner.”

“I was just thinking about seafood,” replied Brandon. “Would you two like to join me? I am sorry. I may be too bold. Perhaps you already have a date with someone else?”

“No, Mommy does not have a date. We would love to have dinner with you, but first I have to get washed up and changed,” said Mandy, as she ran through the doorway and into her room. “I will only be a few minutes, Mommy.”

“Mandy, you and I will have a chat, later!” said Mona, as she placed the wild flowers in a vase. “Perhaps you should tell me about the valentine,” she whispered to Brandon.

“I’ll never tell,” replied Brandon, smiling at Mandy’s ingenuity. “Maybe I will show you later, though.”


No comments:

Post a Comment