Monday, June 16, 2014

The Muse: The Children's Council of Muses



"Somebody said that maybe the Muse children are having a nervous breakdown," said Tess sadly. "I wonder if all the Muse children from around the world could possibly have a nervous breakdown, at the same time. I don't think so. Do you Moos?"

"I don't think so. Maybe someone is out to get us?" replied Moos, her brother. "I know that guy sure did a number on all of us, telling you that you are not real, me that I am a figment of imagination and Arthur that he is a demon. I was totally terrified by him."

"Scared, you mean?" asked Arthur, their little brother, who was not about to be left out of the conversation. "I was scared. I am really glad I am not a demon, whatever that is!"

"Me too, but what are we going to do?" asked Tess. "Mom says that there has to be child Muses in the world, or everyone would die of boredom. There wouldn't be anything new or different, and no one would be inspired to create anything, ever again. So what if Muse children are imps, at times? It is all right to be an imp once in a while, isn't it?"

"I know child Muses can be such a pain," said Moos, looking at Arthur. "You imp!"

"I am not an imp!" said Arthur. "I can't help it if I am not as big or old as you are. That does not make me a pain either!" He looked like he was going to cry.

"Sorry, Arthur, I apologize. I have been too hard on you lately and yes, you are right. You are my little brother and I will treat you with the respect that you deserve from now on," said Moos. "Mom and dad said that we have to come up with a solution, Tess, and fast!"

"I have an idea, Moos. Let's form a new children's council of Muses," said Tess. "Moos, would you be the child master? You could be responsible to the master for the adults."

"Arthur," said Tess cautiously, "You can be our junior master. We need someone to do our advertising. You draw so well. Would you help us with that?"

"A children's council of Muses?" asked Moos. "What do you think that we could accomplish with that?"

"If I do the organizing and you act as the child master, who knows what we might be able to accomplish?" asked Tess. "We will promote child Muses all over the world. Right now, someone is really oppressing all of us for some reason, but no one seems to know why. From now on, Moos, you, Arthur and I don't fight; we write! That is our new slogan. I write poetry and you write music. Arthur writes with his artwork, so this is perfect!"

"Let's not say anything to anyone about this, at least not until we have it all organized. Then, we will present our project at the council of Muses meeting next week, and see what they say." Tess had been thinking seriously about this all night. "The worst they can say is no, but if they do, then they have to come up with a better solution. Remember that if you come up with a problem, then you have to provide a solution also. That is a rule, agreed?"

"Tess, I think you are more than a Muse. You are a genius," said Moos. "Right, Arthur?"

"Right!" stated Arthur. "What is a genius? Now you won't be beating me up all the time. I don't write very well yet. I will have to practice. Can anybody join no matter how old they are?"

"Of course," said Tess. "Even babies, as we are all Muses. As soon as a Muse child is born anywhere in the world, they automatically become a member, all right?"

Both boys nodded their heads in agreement.

And thus, the children began to work on their new project together.

Mr. and Mrs. Muse observing the children from a distance, were amazed to see that they had stopped fighting. They were aware that the children were being very secretive about what they were doing, but knew from experience that each one of them was old enough to work without a lot of adult supervision.

"We will just keep an eye on them. If they argue or fight, then we will intervene and separate them, agreed?" Mr. Muse said.

"Yes, that sounds like a good plan. They are certainly happier. The meeting last evening was a good idea," said Mrs. Muse. "At least, now we know what the problem is."

"I still cannot believe that someone would do something so cruel to the Muse children around the world," Mr. Muse said.

"Do you think that we are really old enough to do this by ourselves?" Moos asked Tess, a bit later.

"Probably not," said Tess. "But, we will soon find out. I really want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem."

"Me too," said Arthur. "Dad says that we have to be. What is a solution?"

"Oh Arthur, you always ask so many questions. You are never the problem. You are such a sweet, little guy," said Moos, wrestling him to the floor and tickling him. Tess started tickling both of them and they all burst out laughing, as they rolled on the floor.

"Listen, I think I hear the children laughing," said Mr. Muse. "I have not heard their laughter for so long. I thought that they had forgotten how to laugh."

"That sounds so wonderful!" said Mrs. Muse. "It has been a really long time. Let's let them play."

"I think part of our problem is the fact that we don't have enough fun!" said Moos.

"We need to play more and work less. Right, Arthur?"

"Right, I give up. Whatever you say!" replied Arthur. He was having fun with his brother and sister. "We should play all of the time."

"Now guys, that was fun but now let's get serious! I think that we need to start with our own behavior. It has been bad lately. It is a wonder that our mom and dad have not thrown us out of the house, or made us sleep outside because of the way that we have been fighting all the time. I know some girls who were fighting at night. Their mother made them stand outside and look at the stars. She said that the stars could exist in peace and they should be able to do that too. She would not let them in until they agreed to live in peace."

"Peace, that is so important. How about writing a code of ethics for Muse children, like how to keep the peace?" suggested Moos, after thinking about it for a moment.

"We could call it a code of conduct, the big CC," said Tess. "That peace thing is a really good idea, too. It has to have love in it somewhere, love for God and for others, what else? Come on, guys, I need some more ideas."

"How about no beating up little brothers, please?" asked Arthur.

"And big sisters," said Tess, with a chuckle. "That’s a great idea, little brother."

"I'll go for that!" said Moos. "No arguing, fighting, spitting or swearing either."

"We could write a brand new declaration of independence, only for Muse children, maybe?" said Moos. He was really starting to like this idea.

"It should state that all Muse children have been created equal in the eyes of God and mankind. Each one of us has a unique and different Muse gift to share with the world. We are to be treated with respect. Our gifts are to be acknowledged by both adults and other children," insisted Tess. "That might work. Dad said that we are being oppressed by someone. I think it means that someone is picking on us. From now on, no one is allowed to pick on Muse children in any way, at any time, or for any reason."

"Right, and that might solve a couple of problems," said Moos. "The behavior rule is good because each one of the Muse children would have to live up to the big CC. I think it would be neat if everyone has to acknowledge the Muse children's gifts."

"How about anyone that has a complaint must go to the complaint department?" asked Tess. "Part of the problem I think, is the fact that our gifts have never been recognized by anyone. Even children's gifts need to be acknowledged at times."

"Where is the complaint department? I can't write yet, so that leaves me out again," said Arthur sadly. "Can I complain about being left out? How am I going to complain?"

"Sure can," said Tess, nodding her head. "I will tell you what. You can complain in pictures."
 
"I can? Oh good, then I am not going to be left out, am I?" replied Arthur. "I can draw a picture."

"We could write some rules for adults, too. Those could be a code of ethics for them," said Moos.

"Actually, I have a better idea," said Tess. "Let's ask our parents to write the adult part. They have always been wonderful parents, and they are very good to us as Muse children. I bet that they could write a far better one than we could. Maybe the other parents would go for it, if they wrote it. If we write it, they might not accept it."

"Time to bring them into the picture," said Moos. "We may need to polish our part of this up a bit, but let's talk to them first and see what they say."

Sure enough, Mr. and Mrs. Muse were more than willing to do their part. In fact, they were so thrilled and excited about the new project, that they invited the senior master from the council of muses to dinner that very same evening.

"What a wonderful idea!" he said. "Great work, children! I have an idea! Let's declare an independence day for Muse children everywhere, too," he suggested. "And we can celebrate it every year on this date."

To make a long story short, the declaration of independence for Muse children solved the global crisis.

If you don't believe this, ask one of the Muse children, if you can find one anywhere. Most of them are happily engaged in working on their muse projects once again. As for the rest of them, who knows exactly what they are up to?




No comments:

Post a Comment